Bookmark and Share
Summer Pleasures in Guelph
Bonnie Durtnall
/ Categories: Recent Events

Summer Pleasures in Guelph

Picnics and Excursions

While people continued to work during the long, hot summer months, they did have one occasion to look forwards to. This was the company picnic. This was a major event. Workers dressed up for the occasion, and road in decorated wagons. Some factories incorporated a parade into the affair. The company’s mascot or special wagon headed the parade. This was good advertising. It also strengthened the idea of this as something special. Guelphites could line up and view the parade even though they were not an employee of the company holding it.

Common destinations were Riverside Park. Local picnickers also made their way to Waterloo Park and Swastika Beach on Puslinch Lake. They swam and held various sporting events. They also ate a picnic lunch and enjoyed the time away from work. These events were very popular during the late 1800s as well as into the 1930s. The workers from Bell Organ and Piano, Lancashire Felt, Standard Brands, the Guelph Lumber Company, McCrae’s Woollen Mills and Northern Rubber all celebrated this summer day pleasure. Even the city’s tailors, bakers and retail clerks spent a day on a picnic or excursion. Some unions also held a picnic as a group. However, it did not necessarily mean employees got the day off from work. The picnic usually took place on a Civic Holiday.

Today

As transportation became faster, and roads more accessible, excursions farther away from Guelph became popular. Guelph workers joined the exodus. They or their company purchased discount railway tickets. They boarded the train and left for larger cities en masse. As government legislation altered the patriarchal industrial landscape and people began to choose their holidays, company picnics became rarer.

While a few people still swim in Guelph’s rivers, many more choose to splash in the city’s splash ponds, wading pools and swimming pools. The rare exception is at Riverside Park. People continue to enter the river and play in its waters as they have for more than a century. 

Photos Courtesy of the Guelph Civic Museum: Bell Excursion, 1901; Bell's 1895;  Guelph Lumber Co, 1902; Plumbers, 1910; Standard Brands, 1932;  Northern Rubber, 1934, Lancashire Felt, 1935; and Riverside Park, 1900.

Previous Article The Origins And Aftermath Of May Day: The Workers’ Holiday
Next Article LAOL at Hillside July 2017
Print
1174 Rate this article:
No rating

Please login or register to post comments.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x
«July 2020»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
2930123
52

Samuel Carter And The Royal Knitting Company

Samuel Carter (1860 – 1944) arrived in Guelph in 1882 after spending about a year-and-a-half in Philadelphia. He had been born in Ruddington in Nottinghamshire, England, a village where the main industry was hosiery. After a brief time boarding in a hotel, he settled on a cottage on 60 Manitoba Street in St. Patrick’s Ward joining forces with a partner whose name may have been Greenside or Grenside. This stone building was to act as a small-scale hosiery knitting mill from 1883 until around 1894/95. This was the start of what was to become known as the Royal Knitting Company.
Read more
45
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
3456789
Labouring All Our Lives   |  Privacy Statement