Bookmark and Share
Victor Canham And Company: Guelph’s Hanger King
Bonnie Durtnall

Victor Canham And Company: Guelph’s Hanger King

Guelph has many companies that remain a footnote in its history. While Raymond Sewing Machine Company, and Bell Organ and Piano Company are names people recognize, V.H. Canham & Company is not. In fact, the company’s contributions are forgotten except by those who recognize his genius in creating common domestic products. In other words, Canham made products that housewives and small business owners could use to make their work easier.

A Man and His Patents

Canham is a bit of a mystery. Victor Canham  came to Guelph in the late 1800s, possibly 1880. Born in St. Mary’s Ontario, to a Scottish mother and an English father in 1869, he spent some time in the United States. When he came to Guelph remains unclear. He did eventually arrive in this city where, before establishing his own business in, he was employed as a foreign agent for G. B. Ryan and Company – one of Guelph's leading dry goods store. During this period, he also worked on and registered several inventions for the domestic sector.

His life in Guelph, apart from his business involvement is vague. In fact, he does not seem to have a domestic residence in the city. His name appears only in relation to his business. He probably lived above his factory at 28-30 Essex Street – a building shared with the Guelph Carriage Top Stables (listed in 1917). It is from this address that he created and produced many of his useful products. He held patents during the early 1900s and the 1920s for a number of inventions including:

   1. Patent Number US791451 Dressmaker's fitting-stand: Grant - ‎Filed 8 Sep 1904 - ‎Issued 6 Jun 1905.               Another   example of a Guelph-made idea.

2.   Patent Number US837916 Dressmaker's fitting-stand: Filed 3 Mar 1906 - Issued 11 Dec 1906. This is another Guelph patent

3.   Patent Number US972995 Hemmer-guide: Grant - Filed 4 May 1908 - Issued 18 Oct 1910. Another made-in-Guelph patent by Canham.

4.   Patent Number US913692 Dressmaker's fitting-table: Grant - Filed 7 May 1908 - Issued 2 Mar 1909. Origins for this patent was Guelph, Ontario.

5.   Patent Number US972160 Spool-holder: Grant - Filed 18 Feb 1909 - Issued 11 Oct 1910. Was registered while he was living in Guelph‎.

6.   Patent Number US43074508A Garment Dress Stand: A variation on the fitting stand, this Guelph-based patent was granted in 1911.

7.   Patent Number US 1444107 Garment hanger: Application filed February 9, 1922.  Pub. Date, February 6, 1923. This is an improvement on an existing object and was filed when Canham was in residence in Buffalo, New York

The Company

V. H. Canham & Company were described as “novelty manufacturers” and patent holders. In fact, Victor H. Canham, who had worked as a foreign agent for G. B. Ryan and Company in Guelph, produced various domestic-type items. They all fell into the category of dry goods but appealed specifically to housewives, tailors, seamstresses and similar occupations.

One of several ads in the 1921 Spring edition of the trade magazine Dry Goods Review gives an overview of a few of his best sellers. It focused on “HANGERS for every use. For Retail – For Stock Use – For Advertising.” The specific hangers depicted were:

1.   The Canham Felt-Padded Hanger

2.   The Canham Star Skirt or Trouser Hanger

3.   The Canham Felt Grip Combination Hanger

4.   The Canham Wishbone Hanger

Other ads in the same publication touted other types of hangers. These became the company’s specialty some manufactured under the brand “Ideal.” The company kept on hand a professional work staff capable of making personalized hangers for their customers.

According to one source, (Vernon E. Webber, also an employee at Ryan's and later an agent for Canham) Canham got the idea to bring the coat hanger to North America after a buying spree for Ryan’s in Europe. There  he came into possession of a German wooden hanger. This excited the entrepreneur in him.

The claim in this write-up for the Guelph Historical Society is made that they were not found in Canada or the United States. However, this is not the case. Coat hangers had been in use in the States in the late 1800s (the 1860s is the most common period given for their invention) and had been re-invented and upgraded about the time Canham began to produce his versions/variations. One invention of the time was a wire coat hanger supposedly created in 1903 by Albert J. Parkhouse an employee of the Timberlake Wire and Novelty Company as a response to complaints by fellow employees on a lack of coat hooks.

It was this product, however, that Canham and Webber took to dry goods stores across Canada and the United States. According To Webber, he had a specific territory that ran from Bangor, Maine to New Orleans, Louisiana. Canham handled sales for "Buffalo, New York, Chicago and Detroit." It was important for Canham to handle matters in Buffalo. This was the city in which he chose to locate his branch plant. At that time, it was at 1575 Niagara Street, Buffalo, New York.  

Yet, as noted above, Canham did not restrict his products to coat hangers. He created various other products during his stay in Guelph. One of them was his company manufactured an adjustable dress form. The iron base for these products was produced by the moulders at Crowe’s Iron Works.

The Later Years of Canham

It is unclear exactly when and why Canham decided to leave Guelph and focus on his business in the United States. His wife, Mrs. Victor Canham may have been the incentive. She was from Buffalo New York and in that city in 1926. Whatever the rationale, Canham had released his Guelph business by 1928 into other hands. It was taken over at that point by Walter E. Buckingham, a barrister and solicitor. He continued to manufacture products under the Victor Canham and Company name. but with less success.

However, While the residence of Canham in Guelph seems to be an apartment or room above his business, this was not the case in the United States. In the 1920 and 1930 American census for Buffalo, New York., he appears as a boarder for both times. His business, originally located on Niagara Street, Buffalo, was later located to 83 Forest Avenue in the same city. 

By the time of his death, however, he has a not only a permanent residence and a prominent business owner, but a respected and involved citizen.. Unlike in Guelph, he became involved in the local business community. He was a member of the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce and active in his church. Canham's obituary lists his accomplishments and states that he had died at his home at 92 Bird Avenue in Buffalo, New York. on June 28, 1943.

Previous Article The Canada Ingot Iron Company: Surviving For More Than a Century
Next Article Guelph Carpet and Pattern Manufacturers
Print
513 Rate this article:
No rating

Please login or register to post comments.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x
«February 2021»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
25262728293031
123
65

F.E. Partridge Rubber Company: Changing The Face Of the Retail Tire Market

In 1916, rubber tires were becoming essential for both bicycles and automobiles. Companies sprung up to respond to the increasing demand for these products. In Guelph, while several companies began to produce rubber tires, only one remained in operation for several years. This was the F.E. Partridge Rubber Company. It was to leave a lasting imprint on the tire industry when it made the decision to retail its tires in hardware and harness shops. This introduced a way for small tire companies to expand their market while offering offering several retailers a new lease in life. 

Read more
4567
8
66

D. McKenzie Machinery Company: One of Guelph's Forgotten Companies

Machine shops are not a new invention. However, the term “machinist” dates back only to the early 18th century and the growth of the Industrial Revolution. These makers of machines and engines found increased popularity after Englishman, John Wilkinson (1728-1801) constructed a machine capable of boring engine cylinders in 1775 and an American, David Wilkinson (1771-1852), invented the first Lathe capable of mounting and driving a machine’s master screws in 1798. This marked the beginning of the age of the machinist.

In Guelph, blacksmiths and mechanics were sufficient for a time and continued to provide basic services for foundries and early industrial concerns. However, in the early 20th century, machinists increasingly were called upon to provide tools and equipment solutions for Guelph’s industries. Among the growing concerns at that time, is the little-known company operated by Daniel McKenzie and his partner, James Andrew Taylor.

Read more
91011121314
15
67

Northern Rubber: From Footwear Manufacturer To Condos

Northern Rubber opened shop in a newly constructed five-storey factory on the corner of Metcalfe (Huron) and Alice Streets in April 1920 with 60 employees. Work on the building had actually started in 1919 as part of a plan by American-via-Quebec entrepreneur, FE Partridge who owned and successfully ran Partridge Rubber Company in Guelph, to expand his tire company into all aspects of rubber production. However, Northern Rubber was to be a separate entity.
Read more
161718192021
22232425262728
1234567
Labouring All Our Lives   |  Privacy Statement