Bookmark and Share
«August 2020»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
272829
57

Chemical Companies: Spills And Takeovers But No Thrills

Guelph had become known for its piano and sewing machine companies, foundries, woollen mills and hardware manufacturers during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Its textiles and clothing companies also made their presence felt. However, Guelph also entered into the less commonly touted chemical industry with E.C. McFarland. 

This was the only chemical company located in the downtown core. Fielding Chemical chose to establish its business somewhat outside – on Perth and Norwich, while Hart Chemicals moved into premises on Victoria Road.

Read more
303112
345
58

H. A. Clemens Planing Company

Guelph had several planing and lumber mills in the late 18th and early 19th century. These included the Guelph Lumber Company, Knight's and Robert Stewart's.  Among the lesser known companies was H. A. Clemens Planing Mill. It started off as the Electric Planing Mill in 1894. It was then owned and operated jointly by Herbert Clemens and Louis Wideman. In around 1898, Clemens became sole owner. He operated his company until it went into assignment in 1910.

Read more
6789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526
59

Harter Metal Furniture: "Specialists In Fine Seating"

Harter Metal Furniture Ltd. came to Guelph in 1955. An American branch factory, it moved into premises at 139 Cardigan Street. It remained here, just north of the Goldie Mills’ site, until the mid 1970s. It then established another plant at 536 Imperial Rd. The company was closed completely by the 1990s.
Read more
27282930
31123456
Labouring All Our Lives   |  Privacy Statement